On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 01:20:49PM -0400, Greg Owen wrote:
>       I'm not sure why a small amount of swap is always in use but it
> seems to be true, and not a performance inhibitor.  Check the amount of swap
> in use at boot time, quiet time, and heavy use time - if they stay the same,
> then it isn't actually actively swapping.

When Linux (as of the 2.2 kernel) tries to allocate pages of memory
for cache, it may push some inactive pages of processes into swap.  This
lets it allocate more cache, which is a performance enhancement.
--
Bruce Guenter, QCC Communications Corp.  EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: (306)249-0220               WWW: http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~bguenter/