On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 02:41:43PM -0400, David Harris wrote:
}
} I'm thinking of deploying RBL to try to cut down on spam, but before I did that
} I wanted to poke around and see how effective it might be. So, I gathered up
} some spam messages that I had received and looked up the mailserver's ipaddr in
} RBL using rbl.maps.vix.com and rbl.dorkslayers.com, and not one host was
} rejected from either RBL site. Even though I could see the messages looked like
} they were going trough an open relay.
}
} How good is this whole RBL thing anyway?

dorkslayers no longer exists, AFAIK, having transmorgriphied into
ORBS.  RBL has strict criteria for inclusion, so you won't get all
that many hits from them.  The more effective MAPS services are the
DUL (dial up list) and the RSS (relay spam stopper).  (I used ORBS for
awhile, but they're too aggressive, so you get a lot of false
positives, and the owner(s?) started putting people in who they simply
didn't like)

Currently I'm using RBL, DUL, and RSS.  It stops almost all spam
attempts to this machine, but then this is a .gov, and spammers seem
to stay away from .gov addresses.

}
}  - David Harris
}    Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services
}
}

--
--------