Thomas Booms EDV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 22 September 1999 at 22:14:03
+0200
 > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
 >
 > > Thomas Booms EDV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 22 September 1999 at
 >21:57:04 +0200
 > >
 > >  > > >I restarted qmail-send and
 > >  > > >postings to the domain are logged with the syslog entry "... delivery
 > >  > > >50: deferral: unable_to_find_alias_user!/".
 > >
 > >  > virtualdomains:
 > >  > Virtual domain: booms-edv.de:Thomas.Booms
 > >  > Virtual domain: www.1areisen.de:yildiz
 > >  > Virtual domain: allianz-bau.de:stockhau
 > >  > Virtual domain: 1asonne.de:stockhau
 > >
 > > Okay; now, to what exact email address was the message that generated
 > > that error message addressed?
 >
 > www.1areisen.de. The user you see is "yildiz". He exists as a real user on my
 >system, means
 > stands in /etc/passwd.

Okay so far.  I'm now wondering if I'm off on the wrong branch of the
debug tree, though; the error message seems to say it *couldn't* find
the alias user, but we just did.  Still, let's run down to the bottom
just to see.

What *user* at www.1areisen.de was the test email addressed to?  Let's
say it's user fred (that is, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>); then the local
delivery that will result is to yildiz-fred. If user yildiz doesn't
have either a .qmail-fred or a .qmail-default file in his home
directory, then the delivery will fail.  (I don't think it will fail
with the error message given, though, which is bugging me).

 > > Say it was to [EMAIL PROTECTED]; my next question will be, is there
 > > a user stockhau in your /etc/passwd file (since that's the controlling
 > > user for the virtual domain 1asonne.de.
 >
 > > And is there a .qmail-default
 > > file, or a .qmail-somebody file, in ~stockhau?
 >
 > No. Only a .qmail file with the entry "./Mailbox/" so like the documentation tolds
 >me.

You've probably already seen the message from another user pointing
out that the trailing slash is for maildir format, not for mailbox
format.  I don't think that could be the underlying cause of your
error message either, though.
--
David Dyer-Bennet         ***NOTE ADDRESS CHANGES***          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon