> the local one. i read the documentation and accordingly removed
> the rcpthosts file. that was it...

Congratulations,
You just opened up the mailserver for Spam-attacks ;)
Use tcpserver and RELAYCLIENT="" instead.

> > Connected to 206.31.56.7 but sender was rejected.
> > Remote host said: 501 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Sender domain must exist
The bounce message bounce because the mailserver does a check against sender domain.
If this fails, it denies the request. Here the domain exists, but it might not exist
for the DNS that the mailserver queries (bad config?).

IDG New Media     Einar Bordewich
System Manager   Phone: +47 2205 3034
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]