[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > >  >             smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
 > >  >             tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
 > > parameter #7 (don't ask me why you have to specify the path and the
 > > name separately -- botch, botch).
 >
 > I suppose the name is what is passed as argv[0] to the process. This
 > may be different, than the filename, and there are programs who act
 > differently according to what argv[0] contains.

Right, but introduce a gratuitious incompatibility??  Everywhere else
under Unix where the above behavior is desired, it's accomplished
through a hard link.  There was absolutely *zero* reason to introduce
this new method for setting argv[0] to different values for the same
program.  As I said, "botch, botch".

A lot of what we use for standards in Unix was invented off the cuff
by peach-bearded Berkeley freshmen.  I agree 100% with Linus and djb
-- that we must not worship BSD or SYSV as *the* only or best way of
doing things.  A lot of the shit that Linus and Dan get is from people
who worship California and New Jersey hackers.  While I respect those
hackers, neither do I think they've invented the last way of doing
something.

Pay attention to the way Dan designs programs.  Typically they are
more sublime than most other things you'll find in Unix -- for
example, Bernstein chaining, or supervising a daemon, or logging
standard error.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com