Mark Maggelet wrote:

> Hi there
> I'm installing qmail on a RedHat 6.1 server install machine and I just
> have a couple of quick questions and then I'll lurk for awhile.
>
> 1) REMOVE.sendmail says this:
> Find sendmail in your boot scripts. It's usually in either /etc/rc or
> /etc/init.d/sendmail. It looks like
>         sendmail -bd -q15m
> -q15m means that it should run the queue every 15 minutes; you may
> see a different number. Comment out this line.
>
> there's no such line, but theres a script called /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail
> that I removed. Is that the right thing to do?

I believe you are using  a RedHat. This is what I did:

1) Remove the 'sendmail' software link from '/etc/rc.d/rc3.d'. Just cd to
this directory
      and rm the 'S80sendmail' link. (Note, the number could be different
from your system).

2) Use one of the startup script from '/var/qmail/boot'. I recommend 'home'
script. Just copy
      it as filename 'rc.qmail' in '/var/qmail/' directory.

3) Add the following line in rc.local (after the '#!/bin/sh' -- the first
line).
if [ -x /var/qmail/rc.qmail ]; then
        echo -n "Starting qmail services..."
        csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc.qmail &'
fi

This should start the qmail next time you reboot.

> 2) the install file says this:
> Set up qmail-smtpd in /etc/inetd.conf (all on one line):
>             smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
>             tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

Use tcpserver instead. goto http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html

Add the following line in rc.local (after rc.qmail)

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/tcpserver ]; then
   if [ -x /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd ]; then
        echo -n "Starting tcpserver for qmail-smtpd..."
        /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -u 1002 -g 102 0 smtp \
        /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &
        echo "done"
   fi
fi

> but it's on 2 lines, does it mean one line, or two lines? because
> if it were 1 line, there would be 8 fields and the other lines in there
> have 7. I feel pretty dumb for having to ask that one.
>
> 3) how do I configure /bin/mail to use qmail? the doc just says do it
> but doesn't say how.

'mail' try to use sendmail program in '/sbin/sendmail'. Move this file some
where else (maybe in '/root'?)
and create a softlink as:

ln -s /var/qmail/bin/sendmail sendmail

This should allow 'mail' to use qmail to send email.

Note:
- I configure my RedHat like a Slackware, I like the Slack way of doing
things... someone should be able
    to explain better way of install it in a more 'RedHat' manner. But, it
works for my system.
- I assume you already installed the qmail in '/var/qmail'  directory.
- I assume you will install tcpserver (Qmail officially state to use
tcpserver instead of inetd)

Good Luck!

Sei Heng