On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 09:00:44PM +0100, bert hubert wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 08:08:48PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hmm did you write that POP3proxy yourself, or does the 'ahu' stand for some
> > of your patches?
>
> It's homegrown and currently owned by Casema.

IC. Not open source?

> > It's kewl nonetheless :)
>
> We think so :-)

Hehe same here..

> > We're prolly going for a distributed approach based on NFS, the good thing
> > about that is that we just add another popserver and load is halved, given that
> > the NFS server (soon to be NetApp prolly) can take the load.
>
> I would advise against that for several reasons. NFS is a bad idea most of
> the time and it also turns out that most OSes have trouble with certain NFS
> operations, like doing softquotas on Maildir boxes. I know for a fact that
> this causes problems.

Hmm... NFS is kind of a legacy thing in our company, I'd rather get rid of it
too, but I'm not the one deciding stuff like that. So I just build a qmail
solution that fits perfectly :)

> With Maildir and a virtual user setup, combined with the popproxy, it's very
> easy to continue adding boxes. Also lots cheaper than the NetCrap approach.

Well on our system there's also a website 'n stuff for each user, which makes
it a bit more complicated.

But you did get me thinking... quotas are not my problem, or my cup of tea,
but that might be a problem than. If it applies to most OSes, let's just hope
it doesn't apply to Linux. Our setup is not hybrid whatsoever (not yet,
perhaps) so we don't need to worry about different OSes.

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/womanizer/pretending coder