Harald Hanche-Olsen writes:
 > + "I Haddenough" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
 >
 > | I mean, shit, he rattles cages with the gov't over krypto, but he
 > | won't open source his code?
 >
 > Eh?  Qmail isn't open source?

No.  An OSI-approved Open Source license gives recipients of the code
the freedom to redistribute modified binaries.  Without that freedom,
your software isn't OSI Certified Open Source.

And RMS (Richard M. Stallman) has become much less strident over the
years.  If asked, I'm sure he would praise Dan Bernstein for giving us
the freedom to download the source of qmail and the freedom to
redistribute unmodified binaries.  But he wouldn't call qmail free
software for the same reason OSI would refuse to certify qmail as Open
Source.

That one essential freedom is missing.  Dan has stated his reasons for
denying us that freedom.  I disagree with him, but as Linus Torvalds
has said many a time, "He who writes the code picks the license."

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country