Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >For example, if you boast, ``I can build a Linux mail server in under
> >an hour,'' I might reply, ``So can't my mother.''
>
> Which most of the English speaking world would interpret as "My mother
> can't do that",

Perhaps. But who cares about ``most of the English speaking world'' when
I am speaking with fellow New Englanders?

> This type of idiom leads to ambiguity, and is a barrier to
> communication--its only purpose is to be cute.

Not. It's correct usage of the local dialect, and perfectly clear to its
native speakers.

In many contexts, standard American English is the correct dialect
for clear communication. But that hardly makes it the best choice in
every context. I've met speakers of many dialects who do not understand
standard English. You're free to call them slack-jawed morons if you
wish, and ignore them--but the best way to communicate with them is in
their native dialect.

As for ``That is true, isn't it?'' you are still wrong. The idiom is in
fact good standard American English. So despite your logicians quibble,
it causes no ambiguity--except for people who don't understand standard
English.

Len.

PS My last post on this thread. We've abused the list charter enough.