Ian Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, my dilemma is that I'm going to be running multiple virtual domains on
> one server, web, mail, ftp, etc. and am curious to know what steps exactly I
> should follow to get the setup completed with qmail.

As far as qmail is concerned, this is not a problem, although you probably
want to use a virtual user manager of some sort -- there's several to pick
from.

> What I'm looking for here is a way to set up my server to accept mail for
> domain1.com, domain2.com and domain3.com ... etc, to domainn.com.

Virtual domain support is simple and documented in Life with qmail, etc.
Essentially you create one user account for each virtual domain, although
this varies between manager systems.

> Each domain should have its own unique users. That is, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is NOT
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Is this going to be a problem? This is the issue that I fail
> to see (easily) addressed from what I've read so far.

It's not a problem for virtual mail users, _but_ ...

> I plan to have a directory structure in place such as:
> /home/domain1/mail/user1
> /home/domain1/mail/user2
> etc

This looks like you're planning on setting up home directories for virtual
mail users -- why?  Do they need shell/ftp/other access?  If so, they're
not really virtual mail users.  A virtual mail user doesn't need an account
of their own -- they just need a POP mailbox (or IMAP, etc).

> for each of the domains so that each user can login using POP/IMAP to retrieve
> their mail. I'd also like an way to handle Email aliasing so that
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] can be sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or wherever else I need it
> to go.

Yet here you say you only need POP/IMAP access for them.  Forget about giving
virtual users individual home directories.

> I'm not new to Linux, but I'm new to the idea of setting up multiple domains on
> a single host, so any hand-holding would be appreciated.

More details will get you more detailed responses, providing you go read
"Life with qmail", mentioned almost every day in this list.  Also read
everything on www.qmail.org, especially concerning virtual mail user
management systems.

Charles
Charles Cazabon         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>