>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:26:33 -0600,
>> Charles Cazabon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

   C> Russ Allbery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   >> Unfortunately, multilog still lacks, so far as I can see, the ability
   >> to limit by both space *and* time so that you can create clear
   >> reporting boundaries for log summaries.  I'd love to have it roll to
   >> a new log after either one day or the size limit, whichever it hits
   >> first.

C> If I remember correctly, Bruce Guenter wrote a patch to allow one of the
C> loggers to do exactly this, by having it close and reopen its log upon
C> receipt of a HUP or some such signal.

   I have a modified version of cyclog called "daylog" which is used to
   write date-based logfiles.  This was part of a project to make a loghost
   to collect syslog entries from four other production servers.

   The loghost includes a drastically stripped-down version of syslogd
   which is run via supervise.  Syslogd reads input from the UDP port,
   strips the timestamp (if any), and spits it to stdout:

      syslogd | accustamp | tailocal | daylog /logs/daily

   The /logs/daily directory contains files in the form yyyy-mm-dd.
   Entries look like this:

      2000-02-06 18:26:01.092417 p15 f1 c17mis some message here...

   "p15" and "f1" hold the priority and facility codes sent to syslog.

--
Karl Vogel
ASC/YCOA, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433, USA

EXCUSE FOR GETTING TO WORK LATE #9:
I can't come to work today because the EPA has determined that my
house is completely surrounded by wetlands and I have to arrange for
helicopter transportation.