Stephen Remillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> I just finished installing qmail on my Linux box.  I would like to replace
> our NT mail server with qmail running on Linux.  There are no local users on
> this Linux box so everyone will get their e-mail using POP3.

> I have a few beginner's questions for you.

> I am reading the FAQ on how to setup a "POP Toaster" and I am a little
> confused.
> Could someone explain to me the purpose of the checkpassword utility.
> Is it to maintain the list of authorized people without creating user
> account on Linux? Can I do without it?

> Also is there a more detailed document on how to setup qmail-pop3d.

In short Qmail is completely modular.  The checkpassword you choose is entirely
dependent on which method of authentication you wish to use:
/etc/password
plaintext password file (other than /etc/passwd)
LDAP
cdb password file
Mysql Database
Radius
etc
etc

In setting up "qmail-pop3d" you need to understand that qmail-pop3d provides
nothing more than the POP3 functions to operate on a users Maildir - it does
not collect useranem/password or arrange the authentication of the user.

Qmail operates as a sequence of programs doing their thing then running the
next program in the chain, e.g.  you could setup the following scenario:
Using Daemontools, and the UCSPI packages you may wish to launch the
qmail-pop* system from tcpserver (which listens on port 110), further you
may wish to run tcpserver under a supervisory process, so the execution
"string" would be something like:

    echo "Starting POP3 daemon."
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -lmail.mydom.net -t2 -u 888 -g 888 0 110 \
        /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mail.mydom.net \
        /var/qmail/bin/checkpoppasswd \
        /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 | \
        /var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &

The only real variable in this is getting your checkpasswd/checkpoppasswd
functioning  - advice on testing your checkpasswd is available on www.qmail.org

Paul Gregg
--
Email pgregg at tibus.net  |  T: +44 (0)  1232 424190  |  CLUB24  INTERNET  |
Technical Director         |  F: +44 (0)  1232 424709  |    Free  Access    |