On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 04:56:44PM -0400, Dave Kitabjian wrote:
> I've researched $TCPREMOTEINFO and "ident lookups". And, for everyone
> else's benefit, I included the useful snippets below.
>
> --> My question is, what impact is there on qmail of not having
> $TCPREMOTEINFO available?

It doesn't get placed in the Received: line.

> We are switching to all Cisco Pix firewalls which, unlike our previous
> firewalls, all appear to have the IDENT port blocked. Fine, so I put the
> "-R" option in my qmail tcpservers, and we're happy again, with no more
> 26-second delays.
>
> The man pages say qmail-smtpd required $TCPREMOTEINFO, but it doesn't

Really? Where? I didn't see that and the code in qmail-smtpd.c suggests
that it's optional.

> say how it uses it.

Right. There is a long-standing issue with ident. All it does is potentially
provide information that may help the site admin of the sending site identify
who sent the email. Whether it does or doesn't depends on the sending site.

> were the Received-By header gets the IP-name translation? We want to
> make an informed decision, and to do so we need to understand how it
> will impact qmail.

I'll stick my neck out and say that it's largely useless these days. It doesn't
hurt to get it and log it, but it was typically much more useful when people
logged into systems such as unix and sent mail from there. In an SMTP relay
environment, such as an ISP or a corporate outbound system where most people
send from a desktop, via a local server to you, it's mostly not of use (that's
not to say that it couldn't be useful just that it's not typically implemented
to be so).

Regards.