>    It's not even that hard, that was the first time I had ever fiddled
with
> the Kernel source.  We went to 4096, which should allow for quite a few
> qmail-remotes. : )

Do you have any feel for how to evaluate what is an optimum number of
remotes?  At 400 remotes I still have 80% CPU idle time.  The load average
is around 4.  This suggests to me that the system is limited by disk I/O,
network I/O or the responsiveness of remote servers.  If it is Disk I/O more
remotes won't help.  I track network traffic through our router fairly
closely and don't think that is the bottle neck.  If it is the
responsiveness of remote servers then more remotes will help.