Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Isn't the general shift nowadays (since 1994 and forward) from news to
> mailinglists just because of the big problem with
> spam-address-collectors on usenet?

If that's the case, you're all already doomed; this mailing list has been
gated to two or three different newsgroups for years now.  I've noticed
because my messages to it keep showing up in Deja.  That's common for most
large mailing lists.

In my personal experience, Usenet is slightly more of a harvesting risk
than large and well-known mailing lists but it isn't *that* significant.
Pretty much everything pales in comparison to web harvesting now,
actually.  (And of late, I get a reasonable amount of Chinese spam and
almost no other spam; I'm down to averaging around five pieces of spam a
day and I do essentially no filtering.  But .edu addresses seem to have a
very different spam pattern than .com addresses.)

I'm a huge fan of Usenet for a lot of things, and an advocate of Usenet,
but it's also my experience that technical fora tend to start as either
newsgroups or mailing lists and generally don't move well from one to
another.  You couldn't turn, say, comp.unix.programmer into a mailing list
without losing a lot of the strong points of the group, and similarly I
don't think this mailing list would convert to a newsgroup well.  And I
don't think there's enough qmail discussion to really warrant both this
mailing list and a Big Eight newsgroup.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>