On Jun 14 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I've encountered this some too; it's an interesting psychological
> effect that I think slows the adoption of qmail a bit.  Because
> qmail is so modular and actually exposes its internal interfaces to
> the degree of having separate binaries running, people think that
> it's considerably more complicated than sendmail (I keep hearing
> this).  This is, of course, really not true; sendmail does way more
> inside that big monolithic black box.  But because it hides all the
> complexity, it scores some marketing points.

        Indeed.

        A similar feeling actually comes from the (unjustified) myth
        that modularization creates a unecessary overhead and,
        therefore, is the source of an evil, intrinsic inefficiency.

        With the clean, modular and efficient design of qmail, Dan has
        given a counter-example to the "common sense".

        With bad design, even superior ideas can be worse than
        inferior ones moderately well-done, while they are always a
        win if done correctly.

        []s, Roger...

P.S.: I was reading the homepage of Postfix <www.postfix.org> this
Monday and found this, regarding our subject:

   "Other mailers such as qmail use a rigid hierarchy of programs that
    run other programs in a fixed order and throw them away after
    use. This approach gives better insulation, at the cost of some
    process creation overhead and inter-process communication."
        -- Taken from http://www.postfix.org/architecture.html

  Rogerio Brito - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/
     Nectar homepage: http://www.linux.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/nectar/