Dennis Robertson writes:
> Paul Jarc wrote:
> > /var/qmail/rc should be run as part of *system* startup, not user
> > login.
>
> Thanks.  I'm going to uninstall qmail and try again.  Where should
> the command be?

You probably don't need to reinstall.  Just remove that command from
your .bashrc, and add it to your system startup scripts.  The details
of this will vary depending on how your system is set up.  On my
RedHat 6 box, I have /etc/rc.d/rc[235].d/S40qmail symlinked to
../init.d/qmail, which contains:
    #!/bin/sh
    case "$1" in
        start)
            echo -n "Starting qmail: "
            /var/qmail/rc &
            echo
            touch /var/lock/subsys/qmail
            ;;
        stop)
            echo -n "Stopping qmail: "
            killall qmail-send
            echo
            rm -f /var/lock/subsys/qmail
            ;;
        restart|reload)
            killall -HUP qmail-send
            ;;
        *)
            echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload}"
            exit 1
    esac
    exit 0

paul