Michael T. Babcock writes:

 > You've just missed a point of Qmail though.  If a major point of
 > Qmail's existence is to provide reliable E-mail delivery, then this
 > _must_ include cooperating with other MTAs (without violating
 > standards) at least enough to keep from crashing / giving them
 > headaches so that we don't 'encourage' them to lose mail ... (through
 > failures of their own).

You *REALLY* don't understand the point of Qmail.  Qmail is designed to
be standards compliant, fast, reliable and secure.  Your belief seems to
be that the designer of Qmail only cared about reliability.  That is
demonstrably false, by DJB's own admission.

Nothing in the design or implementation of Qmail was there ever
consideration given to causing or preventing broken implementations of
SMTP from crashing.  They are broken, therefore they *should* crash.

 > If we're the 'intelligent' ones and the secure ones, we should
 > probably be working around their failures where we can, to keep
 > _mail_ secure, not just mail on Qmail servers.

Now you have gone and changed the subject to secure e-mail.  There is no
such thing in the defined SMTP protocol.  Security is an add-on and has
nothing to do with Qmail.

/Joe