On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Michael T. Babcock wrote:

> The question is: does DJB prefer that one modify (should they wish to) 55% of
> the source code (say) and make this mod available as a patch, or simply rename
> it to "rmail" (or whatever) and mention that it is derived from Qmail,
> available at ... blah ...

What part of  "If you want to distribute modified versions of qmail
(including ports, no matter how minor the changes are) you'll have to get
my approval."  didn't you understand?

Vince.

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > > I understand Copyright law as much as many long time free / open source
> > > software advocates do.  That said, I have still seen nothing about the
> > > licensing of his software besides that he doesn't care about anything
> > > that isn't implicitly illegal.
> > >
> > > That said, in a case-law country, I can do pretty much whatever I think
> > > is legal to do until he sues me.  At that point, the courts decide.
> > >
> > > Most importantly, will he allow full-modification and redistribution
> > > with a new name (GPL style).  IE, forking.
> >
> > In that case you'd be "distributing" which has a link on the qmail home
> > page (http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html).

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking