Let me rephrase my question about building an e-commerce app for PayPal.

I want incoming e-mail to activate a program that looks at what's in the
e-mail, then does something (e-mailing a file) in response to what is in the
e-mail.

My hosting service uses qmail.  What's the best language for my application?

PHP is my preferred language, but I realizing that it's designed to do stuff
when a user clicks on something on a webpage.  I'm having trouble getting it
to activate upon receiving e-mail.  Sending e-mail is no problem, it'll
select a file and mail it as an attachment.

Can I hire someone to write a CGI that responds to incoming e-mail, starts
my PHP script, and transfers the e-mail message to the PHP script as a text
string?  I can use include() for the last part.  If there's an O'Reilly book
I should buy, or documentation somewhere, or if someone can send me a script
to look at, I'd appreciate the shove up the learning curve. :-)
--
Thomas David Kehoe                                Casa Futura Technologies
http://www.FriendshipCenter.com       Stuttering Science & Therapy Website