"Ramzi S. Abdallah" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to migrate from sendmail to qmail. The compilation and tests
> were successful however I can not seem to be able to run the qmail daemon.
> When I telnet to port 25 I get    "telnet: Unable to connect to remote host:
> Connection refused"
>
> I am using the shell proc file which is in /var/qmail/boot. Is there any
> other way to do it? I also installed symbolic links from
> /var/qmail/bin/sendmail to /usr/sbin/sendmail  and to /usr/lib/sendmail but
> pine complained that there is too many symbolic links.
>
> Any help on how to run qmail would be appreciated.
>
> Ramzi

Make sure all the sym links are correct and pointing to the correct
binary.  I had some problems when I went from slackware linux to
openbsd, they had a few sym links for sendmail that I had missed when I
first installed qmail.
To find all your entries for sendmail type this at the prompt (as root)

find / -name "sendmail" -ls

If that scrolls off the screen (of which it shouldn't) you can pipe it
to more by putting a |more after the -ls  which will capture a screen
full at a time then use your up/down arrow keys to scroll through it and
q to exit.  After you type in the above command it will print out a
standard ls -l listing of all references to sendmail.

When you do a ps -aux are the qmail daemon's running?  You type this at
the prompt (as root)

ps -aux|grep 'qmail'

The listing should fit on the screen and should show about 6 processes
running.  Maybe less if qmail-smtp and qmail-pop3 are not running.
Qmail the main program it's self should have about 4 processes listed.

You may also want to do

ps -aux|grep 'sendmail'

Just to make sure sendmail isn't running.  If two programs try to use
the same tcp port no one wins and the port goes un-answered.

If they are not running type in at the prompt

csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'

And put this in your /etc/inetd.conf

smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

Then kill -HUP your inetd daemon.

kill -HUP 'pid'

To find the pid use ps -aux|grep 'inetd' and use the number it prints
out.  Or you can reboot the box.

Write back if you have any more questions.

                        Take Care,
--

Dale Miracle
System Administrator