Dave,

Thank you for the suggestion, however, it still does not work.

Per your instructions, the ~alias/.qmail-postmaster file now contains:

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

After making the alteration:

I went to another computer, started my EMAIL client (MS Outlook 2000)
logging in as [EMAIL PROTECTED], and SMTP's a test message
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I promptly received the failure message.

QUESTION
Am I supposed to cycle QMAIL (HUP) when I make an alteration like this?

To answer your questions:

How did you install qmail?
I contacted http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html and downloaded the file
qmail-1.03.tar.gz.  I unpacked it into /usr/local/src/qmail-1.03.  I then
followed the instructions outlined in the INSTALL document, omitting the
INSTALL.alias doc as it was confusing.  I completed the steps, all the way
to step 8, and then executed the instructions found at:
http://www.tibus.net/pgregg/projects/qmail/single-uid-howto.html.  After
completing these instructions, I then proceeded back to the INSTALL.alias
doc, and when it failed, I started researching the problem on the FAQ's,
docs, mans, and the EMAIL search engine.  That's how I ended up here.  Total
time: roughly two weeks.

What's in /var/qmail/rc?
The contents of the rc file is:

#!/bin/sh

# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail

Security:

rights: 0755
user:           root
group:  qmail

However, I am attempting to build an rc.d script to start QMAIL.  Here is
its contents:

#!/bin/sh

# Source function library
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Make sure that networking resources are available
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

# Perform a little file checking.  Check to make sure the files in question
# exist before proceeding.
[ -x /var/qmail/bin/qmail-start ] || exit 0
[ -x /var/qmail/bin/splogger ] || exit 0

# Define local variables and initialize
RETVAL=0

# Determine parameters used when calling this script
case "$1" in
  start)
     # Startup the QMAIL Engine.
     echo -n "Starting the QMAIL Engine: "
     exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
     qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail &i
     success
     RETVAL=$?
     echo
     [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/qmmain
     ;;
  stop)
     # Stop the QMAIL Engine
     echo -n "Shutting down the QMAIL Engine: "
     killproc qmail-send
     RETVAL=$?
     echo
     [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/qmmain
     ;;
  status)
     status qmail-send
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;
  restart|reload)
     $0 stop
     sleep 5
     $0 start
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;
  *)
     echo "Usage: qmmain {start|stop|restart|status}"
     exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

*** END OF FILE ***

***

Dave, thank you for your help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tom Sarratt