Chris Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:50:12AM -0700, Dan Phoenix wrote:
> > ezmlm killed our email server today.
> > seems that i cannot get mail while it is sending out list.
> > seems to still accept mail but hold it in queue for later.
> > this is not acceptable and ezmlm should not be given priority over
> > incoming mail.....please let me know some solutions thank-you.
>
> You seem to want qmail to deliver mail faster than your hardware is physically
> able to deliver it, or deliver mail faster than you've told qmail that you'd
> like it to deliver it. If the former is the case, you'll need to match your
> hardware to the demands you're placing on it. If the latter is the case, you'll
> need to configure qmail better. See the qmail-control man page, and look for
> concurrencyremote and concurrencylocal. Also, see the documentation for
> tcpserver, specifically the -c option.

If you went out and bought a machine, if it's a p something you will run
into the limits of qmail-queue way before you will even come close to
the limits of the hardware.  Setting concurrencyremote and
concurrencylocal will not help.  Even if you have it set to 1000, you
are limited by qmail-queue and the speed of the other guy's server.
Qmail-queue simply sucks.

Here's why:

          If you need to send 20,000 to server/domain A, 15,000 to
          server/domain B, 10,000 to server/domain C and you have
          listA, ListB, listC, (one for each domain), and you send
          a message to listA, ListB, ListC, one after another, or
          even at the same time, ezmlm will process listA, first,
          and send the whole list to qmail-queue.  Qmail-queue WILL
          NOT process anything until a message is known to either
          seceed or fail. The concurrencyremote ratio can fall to
          10/1000 and stay there until the list is finsh.

          If there where 12 lists like this, it could easily take
          4 hours to send 120,000 messages, when your machine and
          connection allow qmail-send to handle 120,000 message in
          thirty minutes.

There's a few thing that needs to be done to improve it:

        - qmail-queue should not handle mail first come, first serve
           This may have worked two or three years ago, but today with
           with dual pII 600 machines for 3 grand, it just doesn't cut it.

        - qmail-queue should handle queues on per address/server

        - qmail-queue should handle mail with priority
            This can be set on a user or a server basis and can be
stored
            in a database with support for ldap

        - qmail-queue should not hold up qmail-send
            It should be smart enough that if you have 2000 messages to
            one slow server (sendmail or exchange) it shouldn't hold up
            the whole qmail-send becuase it's trying to send first come
            first serve.

        - qmail-queue should handle on per server basis and figure out through
          some type of database the aveage speed of servers/domain
          and adjust the queue for servers, so it will send as fast as
possiable

        - The changes i have recommend should be easy and not overly complex
             Some people don't have the time waste reading some fifty
page
             manual or seraching a mailing list to use and understand
something

If these were into place, I believe a hardware and bandwidth could be a
limiting factors.

If anyone want to help me rewrite qmail-queue please email me.

Steven Rice