On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Greg Cope wrote:

> Peter Samuel wrote:

> > > strace /dev/gf0
> >
> > A brave man giving himself options for servicing more than one gf. My
> > system has /dev/wife with no options for others. In fact, the driver
> > will actively hunt down other instances, kill -9 and remove all
> > associated files :)
>
> Aparently on some OSes (BSD based apparently) mknod will react badly if
> you try and create a /dev/gf{n+1} when a /dev/gf{n} already exists.
>
> Mysterouly a symlink will develope, and before you know it both have
> disappeared, usually after a period of no service due to total
> consumtion of system resources.
>
> As for the issues with /dev/children or /dev/mistress ... well I'll shut
> up.

You guys obviously haven't heard about the alternate drivers which have
multiple switches to allow things like a bind and top interface, multiple
instances of /dev/gfn, /dev/bfn, compatibility between /dev/gfn and
/dev/wife, etc.  Unfortunately, there tend to be serious conversion
problems when using existing /dev/gf0, /dev/bf0, /dev/wife, and
/dev/husband device nodes with the alternate drivers which can result in
substancial permanent system resource degradation.  Confusingly, some
nodes can be converted with substantial input of appropriate data prior to
driver conversion; while others are unaffected by this process and other
nodes go into a degraded mode early in the conversion process; often
resulting in the above mentioned node and system resource disappearence.

Julie

PS When I saw the original message, I thought I'd gotten yet
another piece of misdirected mail for my /dev/master (lrwxrwxrwx 1 root
other 20 May 15 15:25 /dev/husband -> /dev/master) 's domain
(crimsonphoenix.org) and was getting ready to do my usual book
recommending spiel.