> What I have found are various offers for paid support... check the archives.

Well, I'll stand up and say that I've suggested paid support many
times. But I've always done so on the following basis:

1.      I don't want them to come to me (It's not my business and I
        have no relationship with anyone who has such a business).

2.      They need to cloak their domains and are unwilling
        to disclose accurate information to the list.

3.      They are way over their head and will need a lot
        of hand-holding in qmail, their OS, their business,
        their job, etc.

4.      I always aim them at www.qmail.org which has a list
        of commerials of which I have zero control over.

I believe that suggesting people seek professional support is
sometimes the best option. Are you suggesting that it's never the best
option or are you suggesting that such advice is never appropriate on
this list?

Furthermore, I don't recall much in the way of self-serving
advertisements on this list. Can you cite a specific example? I could
not find "various offers" as you put it, in the archives.

> And I have found clear attempts to make as difficult as possible for newbies

Sometimes it may be that the answer is trying to force them to do some
homework. Is the answer "read the manpage for qmail-inject - especially
the section on blah blah blah" a good answer or a bad one? I'm a huge
fan of teaching people how to fish - and I'm not the first by a long
shot.

Regards.