On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 09:12:02PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Henning Brauer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 07:35:33PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > My question is, is it possible to run multiple instances
> > > of qmail, sharing the same disk structure, configuration, etc..
> > at least /var/qmail/queue/ must be local. Maildirs on NFS isn't that problem.
> > I won't rely on linux NFS, but thats another thing.
> So let's say each cluster node was using something like
> /var/qmail/queue/_NODE_IP_HERE_/ on the NFS server,
> it wouldn't be a problem for the delivery or the Maildirs?

I said /var/qmail/queue must be local, and I mean local. local is definitely
another thing as "over NFS".

> I've taken a quick look at the qmail-smtpd man pages,

If we are talking about the queue you should look at qmail-queue of course.

> As for the OS issue, I've had nothing but trouble with *BSDs, and where

You made a fault somewhere.

> What I'm after is not really a performance boost from qmail (I'm sure
> it could run as a dedicated server and perform beyond expectations),
> it's more of a high availability issue. I'm planning on using
> a network block device on the NFS

HA and NFS in one sentence. Interesting.

> server to do a network RAID-1
> for everything that is written to the server, with heartbeat
> to automatically take over if the main server fails. Coupled
> with the hardware raid,journaling filesystem, and the clustered servers,
> I think it would be pretty hard to bring the system completely down.
> (knock on head)

Buy two machines with _fast_ local disk storage systems and place the
Maildirs on a shared RAID subsystem. NFS isn't suited for HA.

> If so, wouldn't this indicate that there aren't any concurrency
> issue with the queue?

Disk throughput for the queue disk is the first performance problem on heavy
loaded qmail systems, given you have enough Bandwidth. The queue relies on a
good filesystem, the inode stuff is _very_ important. FFS seems to fit best
for qmail's needs.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14