On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Henning Brauer wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 07:35:33PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > My question is, is it possible to run multiple instances
> > of qmail, sharing the same disk structure, configuration, etc..
>
> at least /var/qmail/queue/ must be local. Maildirs on NFS isn't that problem.
> I won't rely on linux NFS, but thats another thing.

And the queue is a point of failure, if the filesystem with the queue dies
with mail in the queue, said mail is gone. Which means if you really want
HA, the queue should sit on a RAID1 or similar. RAID5 would be a nasty
performance hit.

> > That's plan A. Plan B is setting up a dedicated mail
> > server, which I would like to avoid if necessary,
> > because it won't scale nearly as well.
>
> For first: for performance reasons one qmail machine _might_ be enough.
> You also might want to look at qmail-ldap with its native clustering
> support. http://www.nrg4u.com, docs at http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ldap/
> You should also spend some thoughts on your OS, the *BSDs may be much better
> choices for a high volume qmail server.

qmail-ldap looks great, LDAP lets you distribute your authorization
information and supports HA similar to the way DNS works. However,
qmail-ldap's definition of clustering does NOT include HA or failover,
last I heard. It does handle distributing mail delivery across a cluster
of machines in a transparent manner.

$.02

Bill Carlson
--
Systems Programmer    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/        |  not my employer's.