Steve Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 19 January 2001 at 16:59:33 -0500
 > I've searched the archives extensively, and I've learned quite a lot, but
 > I'd like advice on this question:
 >
 > Assuming RAID 1+0 is not an option (due to the expense), what level of
 > RAID is best for storing /Maildir's on a file server (that will be
 > accessible to the SMTP & POP servers via NFS).  Redudancy is the big
 > issue, otherwise I'd go for RAID 1.  The suits are pushing for RAID 5
 > because they don't know better - and won't listen.

Um;  0 is striping, 1 is mirroring, right?  I don't do this enough to
be confident of the numbers.  So if mirroring is too expensive, the
only option available for consideration is RAID 5, parity.  It has
less redundancy than mirroring, but good reliability (survives loss of
one disk).
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/