On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 06:59:26PM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> Yes there are (answering my own post). Scanning todo/ takes longer, if
> you are using the big-todo patch, because every subdir has to be
> scanned, instead of just one dir.
>
> Where *is* the benefit in the big-todo patch?

I think the benefit is with OSs having poor directory access routines.
As directories are scanned on a linear basis access is faster scanning
two small directories than one very big one. Also modifications in
the small directories (adding/removing files) will be faster.
And (not sure about that, though) the first level directory is held
in the filesystem cache as it has lots of accesses but does (usually)
not change.
However IIRC this patch is mostly (only?) a benefit with Linux' ext2
filesystem.

        \Maex