Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:32:47PM -0500, Scott Gifford wrote:
> > Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > If AOL or hotmail would decide to change their MX records to your mailserver
> > > this will for sure also cause you problems.
> >
> > No it won't.  qmail will give an error that the MX records points back
> > to itself, and bounce the message.
>
> I don't think that any mailserver out there will be able to handle
> the load if AOL or Hotmail will change the MX record to point at that
> system (without prior notice).
> This would be a DOS just like the 0.0.0.0 is.

  Oh, I see.  Yes, that's  correct.  There are all kinds of DOS
attacks against any public Internet service.  The ones to worry about
are the ones that let a single user with a slow Internet connection
deny service to a large number of people.  The ones that require being
singled out for destruction by large ISPs, there's nothing that can
really be done about.

-----ScottG.