Well, I finally figured that I would stick with FreeBSD as my OS for
installing qmail and have played with it quite a bit to figure out some of
the differences between it and some other *nix flavors.  I installed the OS
and qmail using the FreeBSD ports, but am running into many, many problems.
(I am using "LWQ" and "running qmail", by Rich Blum, as guides and used the
CD that comes with "running qmail" to install FreeBSD 4.0 and the qmail.)

For a while, I had things running, but delivery to the local mailboxes was
using the mbox as the local delivery destination, instead of Maildir - which
I wanted to change it to, so I could use pop3d.  I modified the rc file
(which in FreeBSD 4.0 is the rc script in /var/qmail linked to a qmail.sh
script located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d) and restarted the server.  Now, if I
try to send mail to any of the bogus users I had working with the mbox, no
mail is received.  It is as if the local delivery has stopped and/or cannot
find the destination.

I guess the real question I need to ask is whether someone has actually set
up qmail on FreeBSD 4.0 using the qmail ports and following any given set of
directions.  I am a bit confused as to what I should do with the old
sendmail daemon (although I followed the directions on "LWQ" as best I
could - making the necessary modifications to match the location of sendmail
on my BSD sys), how I should start up the qmail services and where the
scripts should go.

Any advice?

Thanks,
SF