I have a K6/2 400 running RedHat 6.1 with Qmail. The box has 160mb RAM and a
cheapo IDE 4gb disk (was once a workstation). We have a 2Mb/s ADSL
connection. It's running as a POP3/SMTP server for a small internal network
for 15 users.

All works great, however every so often (bi-weekly) I need to send an e-mail
to 40,000 customers (different e-mail for each one), generated using MySQL
and PHP's mail() command.

I'm just wondering what kind of performance I should be expecting, and what
kind of limits I should be setting in concurrencyremote? If I up it to say,
100 when I do one of these mass e-mails, will I get any problems with
'descriptors','openfiles' or 'maxproc' (I don' t know what these refer to, I
just saw it in the FAQ). Do I take it 120 is the max I can set it to without
compiling Qmail? Should I think about recompiling it with big limits? I'm
not sure whether this it just for really, really big sites, or also for
usage like mine.

I know that it's very difficult to come up with specifics but I just want to
ensure all e-mails get sent as quickly as possible - I don't want to have it
dying halfway through, and I can't test a mass e-mail delivery to myself!

Ideas appreciated

Regards
John