> pass the message off to qmail to deliver. As most message get delivered on
> the first attempt you'll save the overhead of writing the message to disk,

And this is a large caveat. If, eg, your network happens to be down at
the time you attempt delivery, you'll inject a huge number of emails
into qmail - that may hurt. When I've developed this sort of code I've
found it just as easy to do the retries in the qmail-remote driver
logic and dispense with qmail-inject/qmail-send altogether. Risk
avoidance is the motive.

> duplicates and other things like that, but still it's much less work
> than the absolutle requirements for reliable delivery a general
> purpose mail delivery agent has.

As always, Richard knows what he speaks about. There are many
optimizations available when you have very specific requirements that
are less demanding than a general purpose mail delivery system such as
qmail. The really great news is that you can use the qmail componentry
such as qmail-remote to reduce your development costs. Try that with
sendmail!

Regards.