Bill Isaacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a feeling I'll get laughed at, but here goes.

No, laughing is reserved for people who send mail like "qmail isn't working
for me.  Why?" to the mailing list.

> I'm not using svscan.  This is what I have in (*gulp*) inetd.conf:
>
> smtp    stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

Okay.  You need to change this; take it out of inetd.conf and kill -HUP
inetd.  Start qmail-smtpd with tcpserver -- if you want, you can
supervise and svscan it as well.  The tcpserver invocation must include the
option and value "-x /etc/tcpcontrol/smtp.cdb".

So the problem was that the .cdb file was never being consulted, and therefore
the RELAYCLIENT environment variable was not being set (conditionally or not).

Charles