Bill Isaacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At the risk of sounding really stupid, do I need to invoke BOTH the
> corrected script (minus the qmail-smtpd part) AND the old one (pop-3, etc.)?
>   In other words, will I have two tcpserver scripts, one invoking the pop-3
> and the other the qmail smtpd?

If I remember your setup, yes.  Think of tcpserver as a meta-daemon --
it binds to one TCP port on your machine and accepts connections.  For each
connection, it spawns a specified program which reads and writes data from
and to that connection.  Therefore, if you want to use it for two different
ports (different services, like SMTP and POP3), you need to run two
different instances of tcpserver.

> As I said, I am a complete newbie with email and no great shakes with much
> of this stuff to begin with.  I hope you folks aren't getting to tired of
> answering these dumb questions.

This list generally doesn't tire of questions from people who are willing
to do some work, experiment, and report honest results.  If you want to
help yourself further, I would recommend reading everything at cr.yp.to,
especially concerning ucspi-tcp, daemontools, and qmail, as well as
everything linked to from www.qmail.org.

Charles