I'm having trouble with qmail and procmail. I've read
the FAQ and the list archives, but am still unsure
what
to do. I'm using a Linux RedHat 6.2 system.

installed qmail.
outgoing mail works.
incoming mail (from outside) bounces (unknown user)
local mail won't be delivered, i.e....
when I try (from the machine in question):
$ mail joe
Subject: testing
testing
.
Cc:
$

I end up with /var/spool/mail/joe (a symlink to
/home/joe/Mailbox) being
renamed as BOGUS.joe.1jLB and a new FILE called
/var/spool/mail/joe
containing the "testing" message.

I read in INSTALL.mbox the following:
A few mail programs are unable to handle symbolic
links, so you will
have to configure them to look at ~user/Mailbox
directly:
   * procmail: Change SYSTEM_MBOX in config.h and
recompile; or, with
     recent versions, define MAILSPOOLHOME in
src/authenticate.c.

but I don't know where to find config.h or
authenticate.c... do I have to download the procmail
source and recompile after these edits? (There has to
be an easier way!)

I tried adding ~joe/.qmail-test1 containing:
|preline procmail -m /home/awilber/.procmailrc
and ~joe/.procmail containing
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH
ORGMAIL=$HOME/Mailbox
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
DEFAULT=$HOME/Mailbox   #completely optional
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

this didn't work.

I'm lost.

Thanks,