I made some modifications to the homedir files:

$HOME/.qmail now has
| preline /usr/bin/procmail -m /home/joe/.procmailrc

(the -m file was previously mis-named)

and $HOME/.procmailrc has
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH
ORGMAIL=$HOME/Mailbox
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
DEFAULT=$HOME/Mailbox   #completely optional
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

Does this mean I have to have these two files in
every home directory!? And does it also mean that any
user can screw his mail up by accidentally deleting
these files? I have to say, though this works, I'm not
particularly comfortable with it...

Joe