On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 10:14:20PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Mark Delany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > But why does qmail have to be patched to use LDAP?  Why not use a script
> > > which extracts user information from the LDAP database, puts it in passwd
> > > format, and feeds it to qmail-pw2u?  Then cron it every hour or something.
> > > Voila,
> >
> > Better yet, why not make a replacement qmail-getpw? That's how I built an
> > LDAP-aware qmail a couple of years ago.
>
> But if the LDAP query fails in qmail-getpw-ldap, you have to either defer or
> bounce.

Sure. But there's nothing wrong with a deferral.

If deferrals are a problem for qmail-getpw-ldap, I'd pursue a more
reliable LDAP service. Remember that the LDAP service is most likely
also used to authenticate your POP users and they'll what
authentication to be reliable well before qmail cares about a few
deferrals.

In any event what I was really getting at was merely the modularity
that a qmail-getpw plugin can provide.

Regards.