At 02:02 PM 3/9/2001, Sean C Truman wrote:

after this post i'm a sending all messages regarding this to > /dev/null

the point that i'm trying to convey is that commercial linux (or any nix
for that matter) distros are not as good as other alternatives.  Let me
give several reasons why (IMHO);

Where ever there is a buck to be made people start getting greedy and no
longer take pride in their work....EG: Redhat7.  It isn't a distro, its a
poor excuse for a waste of plastic.  I'm not going to go into the reasons
why (if your interested contact me off list).  Redhat (and other companies)
are competing with each other.  Sure competition is good, however to
compete they strive to get their product out to the public faster.  this
means reduced quality of software.  no way around it.....I personally use
Debian 22r2, why because Debian is IMHO the most robust, stable
distro.  Debian just works, I install what I want to install and nothing
more, no X no sendmail if i don't want it, it doesn't get installed.

Let me put it another way - What is redhat's business plan?  To make money.
What is OpenBSD's (Debian, FreeBSD, etc) business plan? Nothing, they don't
have one.  There is no money to be made.  This ensures that the OS is
polished, bugs fixed, and is ready for prime time.  I personally love how
redhat can package GLP'd software with their "secure server" and sell the
package for $199.00USD.  Ohhhhh support thats what you want....if you need
telephone support you probably should be looking over some how-to's or some
sort of documentation before installing linux.  The newbies who need
telephone support are usually the ones who come to lug meetings saying
things like "Linux sucks, It totally screwed up my whole system" or "I
tried to start the installation from explorer but it didn't work."

well - i'll leave you to make your own decision...if you wish to discuss
the matter further - contact me of list

~kurth

>Kurth,
>
>     I have several production servers (some of which are running millions of
>active POP accounts) on redhat 6.2.  Just because your perfered nix is BSD
>doesn't mean Redhat is of non-production standards.  Just means that you
>dislike it because you probly don't understand it or use it.  I personally
>never use BSD not because I don't understand it, nor because I don't like
>it. but because I personally perfer Linux.  Just for a reminder this is not
>a BSD mailing list!
>
>Sean Truman

Kurth Bemis
Partner/Senior Network Admin/Engineer USAExpress.net
Owner, Ozone Computer

PGP key Available (http://www.usaexpress.net/kurth/pgp)
The world really isn't any worse.  It's just that the news coverage is so
much better.
Donate your wasted CPU cycles to Distributed.net (http://www.distributed.net)