"Brett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Dave Sill wrote:
>>No, you're not messing anything up. There are two kinds of bounces:
>>those generated remotely and those generated locally. If the local
>>system is not able to pass a message off to a remote system, the
>>bounce generated will be local--from your qmail--and it'll go to the
>>"me-" address rather than the me-user%host VERP address. This is
>>done this way because the local bounce can contain multiple
>>undeliverable addresses. To process these bounces, you need to parse
>>the QSMBF-format bounce message that qmail generates.
>
>>From this, I gather that in order to collect the email addresses of these
>bounces, I need to write a script that goes through the me mailbox and
>extracts the email addresses from the bounce messages.

You could do that, but it'd be better to write a script that processes
each message upon receipt.

>I can do this (though
>it seems like there must be a better way). But when does the VERP
>functionality present itself? I send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>and that server tells me 'beets is unknown' -- isn't that a remote bounce?

If your qmail talks to the MTA at someotherdomain.com, and
someotherdomain.com refuses to accept the message for beets, then your
qmail will generate the bounce.

If your qmail talks to the MTA at someotherdomain.com, and
someotherdomain.com accepts the message but is unable to deliver it to
beets, then someotherdomain.com will generate the bounce, and it'll go
to the VERP address.

>Shouldn't the email be returned to
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]?

No, because, as I explained, qmail bundles the locally-generated
bounces into one message.

>Because it isn't; I'm still
>getting those sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Or is this still considered a local
>bounce?

Locally-*generated*, not local.

>If this is a local bounce then how do I simulate a remote bounce?

Well, the easiest way to do that is to send a message directly to a
VERP return address. Alternatively, if you've got another qmail box,
just send a message to nosuchuser@otherqmailbox.

-Dave