On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:18:17PM +0100, Gary Law wrote:
> I have a roaming user who is having severe problems sending mail via
> ISP. Consequently, I need to let her relay urgently. She authenticates
> using IMAP from Outlook on a Mac (os9.0.4).
>
> 1/ Apply the patch to allow relaying on the basis of the senders addy.
> (http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaymailfrom.html)

Not a good option unless - forgeing a sender address is trivial.

> I have no idea how one applies a patch...   :o)   a pointer to a man
> page or how-to would be great.

'man patch' :)

> 2/ Slot in Bruce Guenter's relay-ctrl thingy (
> http://em.ca/~bruceg/relay-ctrl/current/relay-ctrl-2.5.tar.gz ). Looks
> great but requries "tcpserver with qmail-smtpd". Tcpserver is in my
> /usr/local/bin but doesn't look like it is called from inetd :_
>
> do I just substitute tcpserver for tcp-env and follow the instructions
> in Bruce's page?

No. tcpserver *replaces* inetd (for running qmail-smtpd). Follow the
instructions at http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/servers.html#tcpserver-smtpd
for using tcpserver to start qmail-stmpd. Then you can follow Bruce's
instructions.

Regards,
james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's