Gary Law <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a roaming user who is having severe problems sending mail via
> ISP. Consequently, I need to let her relay urgently. She authenticates
> using IMAP from Outlook on a Mac (os9.0.4). I only installed Qmail two
> weeks ago thus I'm a little new. I've read the archive and as I
> understand it I have two options:
>
> 1/ Apply the patch to allow relaying on the basis of the senders addy.
> ( http://www.palomine.net/qmail/relaymailfrom.html)
>
> I have no idea how one applies a patch...

It's insecure, and if you're not comfortable applying patches and
compiling software, you're best not to use it anyway.

> 2/ Slot in Bruce Guenter's relay-ctrl thingy (
> http://em.ca/~bruceg/relay-ctrl/current/relay-ctrl-2.5.tar.gz ). Looks
> great but requries "tcpserver with qmail-smtpd". Tcpserver is in my
> /usr/local/bin but doesn't look like it is called from inetd :-

relay-ctrl is excellent, simple, and can take as little as a couple of
minutes to install.  Your installation will be slightly more difficult,
as you're not already using tcpserver to start qmail-smtpd.  You want to
remove the qmail-smtpd entry from inetd.conf and HUP inetd to stop it
listening on port 25.  Then have a tcpserver listening on port 25,
starting qmail-smtpd through the usual chain plus relay-ctrl-allow.
Dave Sill's "Life with qmail" contains a sample script for starting
qmail-smtpd through tcpserver.

Charles