>> Qmail is not very robust when it comes to dealing with errors or unexpected
>> conditions in .qmail files.
>
> What do you base this on?  The experience of the rest of the members of the
> list would tend to show that this is simply incorrect.

In retrospect, it could be true that the issue is with vpopmail, since my
experiences are based only on both, but only if vpopmail is explicitly
reinjecting the email. If it is instead returning a status that does not
indicate to qmail to stop attempting delivery or whatever, qmail should get
the clue that delivery isn't going to happen after some number of failures
(and that shouldn't be thousands). But since I can't say for sure what is
happening, I will have to withdraw my comment for the moment.

-K