On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 03:43:48AM -0300, Martin Marconcini wrote:
> Hello:
>
>       I have followed www.lifewithqmail.org instructions. The server is OpenBSD
> 2.8. This was my first qmail installation. At the office I installed OpenBSD
> and Qmail and followed instructions and have had no problem. I installed
> pop/smtp stuff.
>
>       At home I have another obsd box w/qmail. But I can't make tcpserver work.
>
>       /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current shows the following error everytime I telnet
> localhost 25.
>
> @400000003ada6c2f381c5b64 tcpserver: status: 1/20
> @400000003ada6c2f384a0ab4 tcpserver: pid 22092 from 127.0.0.1
> @400000003ada6c2f38fae424 tcpserver: ok 22092
> localhost.marconcini.com.ar:127.0.0.1:25 :127.0.0.1::17948
> @400000003ada6c2f39080b54 tcpserver: warning: dropping connection, unable to
> run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd: exec format error

The error message seems pretty obvious to me. There is some problem
with the qmail-smtpd executable. Perhaps it was compiled on a
different system, perhaps it was compiled on a later version of the
same system. Whatever the problem, your OS doesn't like that
executable file for some reason.

To confirm this, I'd run qmail-smtpd from a command line prompt
thusly:

$ /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

Please do this and show us the output.

To fix it you probably need to rebuild and reinstall the program. I
don't really know whether LWQ does this in the standard way.

> I have no inetd running.

tcpserver is working fine. The problem is that the program it wants to
run (qmail-smtpd) is not running for some reason.

Regards.