>Tim,
>
>   Why not just write an web interface for subscribing to the list.
>   In order to get to the actual form that asks for your email address,
>   you would have to answer some basic questions that can be found in
>   the FAQs and LWQ?  Take the top 10 questions with multiple choice
>   answers.  Hit 8 out of 10 and you get to subscribe.  Anything less
>   and you are taken back to the FAQ page with a "Sorry, you haven't
>   done your homework... Keep reading until you understand the basics"

You know, perhaps a better idea would be to make -H and -R on tcpserver
the default, so this problem doesn't keep coming up on the list (nawww,
makes too much damn sense to me).  I usually don't take sides in
discussions, but it seems to me that everyone wants to be so 3l33t, that
we overlook the real goal, which is to rid the world of Microsoft and lousy
performance vs. cost.

If we result to taking quizzes, why don't we set up a CCIE type certification
for qmail, so that everyone who passes the cert. can make a fortune consulting
on installing qmail on linux/BSD/solaris, etc.

I know when I can't figure something out, I usually give inter7.com a
jingle for
help (Unlike everyone else, I usually can't spend 2 to 3 hours trying to deal
with something which should be very simple, but due to limited knowledge,
I have difficultly understanding (and I learn new things on Linux every day).

As someone who has worked in IT almost 19 years, and has messed with
everything from punched cards and 7 track magnetic tape to Crays, we all
seem to forget that everyone had to start somewhere, and as much as I
hate to say so, most documentation for open source products is so piss
poor that once I figure out how to get it working, I document the procedure
completely on the platform that I use, so that the next poor guy/gal who
comes along and needs to do it can get it up and running with a minimum
of effort and toil.  An example of good write ups and procedures can be
found at www.linux.nf/stepbystep.htm which lists numerous pieces of useful
information on how to get everything from apache to certain types of winmodems
working under Caldera's OpenLinux series of products.

Vent Mode: OFF

-Bill