Charles and James,

Some people may have private domains that they don't wish to disclose. These
people are usually advanced enough to do a clear job with generic a.b.c
notation.

I agree that novices probably should stick to the full domain names because
they are probably too confused to translate correctly into generic a.b.c
notation.