Kuriger, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My name is Mike and I am the UNIX admin at WB online.  Anyway, I was tasked
> with rolling out a new mailing list server because our ListServe box is too
> slow and easy to hack.  I set up qmail on a small 450mhz SUN netra and it
> seems to also be too slow.  I need to be able to deliver about 1,000,000
> emails a day and from the speed I get out of my netra I will need a dozen of
> them!

High-volume qmail servers is a topic which comes up regularly on this list; if
you search the qmail mailing list archives, you will find many good technical
suggestions on getting the best performance out of your system.  You can find
a link to the archives at qmail.org.

A few things you'll probably want:

    -big-concurrency patch, and a concurrencyremote setting of 500 or as high
    as you have resources for
    -queue on it's own disk or disks (RAID), possibly on its own SCSI
    controller
    -15kRPM SCSI disk(s)
    -logging through multilog, to separate disk
    -use something other than Solaris; it's horribly slow in file operations
    and its networking code is bloated, buggy, and slow
    -if your mailings are unique-per-user (i.e. body changes for every
    recipient), you'll need the big-todo patch, and there are various ways of
    scheduling the message injection to maximize delivery speed
    -if your mailings are all identical message bodies, use ezmlm/ezmlm-idx as
    your mailing list manager, or write something custom which uses qmail's
    VERP functionality to automate bounce handling
    -have bounces handled by a separate machine

There's other tricks as well, but with the above list you should easily be
able to handle 1M deliveries a day on decent hardware.  I'm afraid I'm not
familiar with the Netra you mention.

Charles