Mike Jackson([EMAIL PROTECTED])@2001.05.13 13:46:29 +0000:
> Netra's are little 1U pizza box style 'servers'. They are meant for
> telecom operators, etc. I use one for a qmail/courier imap server for a
> few hundred users, and it's ok. I definitely would not consider it a
> 'high end' solution. Yes, Solaris is slow, but it's also stable. Sort of
> like an old John Deere tractor ;-). I wouldn't use one of these for a
> million message per day list, although a cluster of them might be ok.
suns in general are not worth the money IMVHO. i would not bother buying
suns for internet server use since pc technology prcing has dropped this
low in the last few years that a cluster of let's say four 2way smp
pentium3 boxes with scsi/raid subsystem and really much ram (~1gb/box)
costs less than a single enterprise 250 ;-)
the other fact is, that you can get a better maintained operating
system than slowlaris with better design and at least the same stability
for $0 (--> netbsd/openbsd/freebsd) that comes with a decent compiler
kit and all of the tools youre gonna ever need.
sun is a marketing organization.
the internet is a community.
it's up to every single one of us to decide what he likes best and
prefers for his operations platform *grin*

/k

ps: tco, as pointed out by their funny and colourful marketing papers,
is not the issue if you compare the amount of patches you had to apply
on solaris boxes the last 2 years to the ones for free/net/openbsd.
i mean _system_ patches, _not_ patches for subsystem like bind et al.

--
> Booze is the answer. I don't remember the question.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46