On Sun, 13 May 2001, Patrick Starrenburg wrote:

> Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >qmail uses -0000 because it is the receiving MUA's task to display the
> >date in the format the user desires. If your MUA is unable to do so,
> >complain to the MUA author.
> It does, pls check my original mail. You will see that the MUA fully and
> correctly inserts the Date: field including TZ offset.

Yes, and thanks to qmail's insistence on using -0000, it's clear that your
TZ setting is wrong (see my reply to your original mail).

> >qmail uses -0000 because only if all headers use the same timezone,
> >reliable debugging is possible.
> ?? This logic seems a red herring to me.

-0000 lets you worry about just one thing (does machine X have the correct
UTC?) rather than several things (does machine X have the correct local
time?  did X's admin set TZ correctly at initial installation?  is X's
current idea of TZ correct for this time of year?  did X's MTA take all
the above into account _and_ print the timestamp correctly?)

-0000 lets you quickly see MTA hop intervals without having to mentally
add/subtract GMT offsets (easy to get wrong when you're in a hurry or
suffering from sleep deprivation).

In short, it's mind-boggling why most MTAs _don't_ use -0000.

--
Adrian Ho   [EMAIL PROTECTED]