This server has NO virutal entries at all.  There isn't even an
/etc/qmail/control/virtualhosts file.  It's sole purpose is to act as a
backup mail server when the primary MX's for any of the 6800+ domains
aren't working.

Outside of the server's own hostname and localhost, there are no other
entries in the /etc/qmail/control/local entries at all.

The only qmail files that were ever modified on a regular basis before this
problem were morercpthosts and morercpthosts.cdb.

In my original email, I mentioned that I had restarted qmail (qmail-send)
with no effect.  The errors only stopped once I had migrated all the
domains from morercpthosts/morercpthosts.cdb to rcpthosts (which took
effect immediately with no need for restart).

Even on the servers I maintain that DO have virtualhost entries, I've never
had to HUP qmail-send to have the changes take effect unless vadddomain of
vpopmail automatically sends a HUP.

My original questions stand:  Are there limits to the number of entries in
morercpthosts/morercpthosts.cdb?  I really don't have a problem with
maintaining a completely flat-text rcpthosts, but a binary morercpthosts
would be more efficient.

According to the doco's I've read about rcpthosts and morercpthosts.cdb,
morercpthosts.cdb is effectively appended to rcpthosts, but is read faster
due to the hashing.  In the case of my 6800+ domains, I would like to stick
to the most efficient method, as this list is only getting bigger by the
day.

Do I need to HUP something after making changes to morercpthosts.cdb?  I've
never had to do that before.  Changes always seemed to be immediate in the
past.

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

-CT